Hi Phil,

Coming from Java world, I'm very much spoiled with frameworks. When I first
created an app for GAE, I used Spring. But due to unacceptable start-up
time, I ditched it and just use Servlet+JSP.

I miss a lot of convenience (esp. Spring Security), but luckily GAE
provides other goodies, things like sending email, cron, persistence, are
now taken for granted.

I still use a handful of 3rd party components: joda time, SiteMesh, Scala
(I'm talking from JAR point of view, an extra 8MB), and some other small
libraries.

Oh, and you can always-on your instances.