I posted a great deal of information in the thread here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/google-appengine/rjZhjMEAXUI

In that thread I posted logs that showed that the very first request after
setting min instances to 1 will spawn a new instance (in addition to the
instance that the min instances setting created).  The app ID used in that
testing is "titan-game-qa" and the timestamps are in the logs I posted.

At some point I will have enough bandwidth to set up a more specific test,
but I feel I've already posted plenty of information for GAE engineers to
digest.

- Kris