Hi Matt,

On Friday, 7 December 2012 10:35:09 UTC, Mat Jaggard wrote:

> Some startups are getting going with zero capital because an individual
> with some skills and some time can produce and sell a product using free
> cloud services and then once they've made a few bob can upgrade.
>
> Google WERE supporting this model very well - shame on you for stopping.

Very succinctly put - this raises the barriers to entry to GAE for small
startups, and significantly reduces its usefulness for testing ideas.

Reducing the free tier from 10 to 5 (or even 3 at a push), or reducing the
cost per user for tiny teams, could have significantly mitigated that had
Google wished to do so - clearly they don't, which is their call of course.

For several of my smaller/more speculative projects where I'd intended to
use GAE, Google Apps or both, this will cause me to fire up a couple of new
Linodes, which may or may not be Google's intention. However, whilst this
change is not hugely significant in and of itself, it is a timely reminder
to me that I'm safer using services that I pay for, and where I therefore
know where I stand. The uncertainty as to what change will come next is the
bigger issue to me.

FWIW, Linode surprises me now and again, too - but every time Linode
surprises me, it is with *good* news...

--

Cheers,

PhilK