Here are some of my thoughts on topics raised in this thread:

1. Google has definitely abandoned this forum, no doubt about this… I am not
sure if this is on purpose to force more people to buy paid support or just
because of lack of leadership/ownership as @pdknsk suggests. But it is a fact.
2. However, abandoning the forum is not the same as Google abandoning Google
App Engine. By many of my metrics GAE has been improving, I admit not with the
pace I would have liked but it has been improving.
3. The arguments used to reach the conclusion of the paragraph cited mostly do
not resonate with me. However, the conclusion does.
4. But so what?   89% of Google's revenue still comes from advertising. Even
when it comes to cloud computing, the big battle is happening in IaaS and not
in PaaS, and there AWS is the major player. So it is to be expected that GAE is
not a major priority. But again so what? Google has about 45,000 full time
employees. What if only, let’s say, 250 employees—I made this number up---work
directly on GAE? It is a minor priority but it could still be a great platform
especially when it leverages the Google infrastructure.

So, I remain cautiously optimistic….

PK
http://www.gae123.com