Make sure you read this on Wall Street Journal just hot of the press:
http://online.wsj.com/articles/google-renews-its-cloud-efforts-1415062792
(Search online for the title "Google Renews Its Cloud Efforts” if you hit the
paywall).

I quote from the article:

"Amazon started renting computing power in 2006, in a unit known as Amazon Web
Services. Google unveiled its offering two years later. But Google initially
required customers to write software similar to the way Google does. Amazon’s
more flexible approach proved more popular. It used so-called virtual machines
that let developers use most popular programming languages, databases and other
tools. Google adopted this approach later, but by then it had ceded the early
lead."

"Google’s first cloud service, App Engine, used the company’s internal
approach. In contrast, Amazon used more standard technology.”

PK
http://www.gae123.com