I've certainly felt that App Engine hasn't been a significant priority for
Google for quite some time.  Legitimate bug reports can go unacknowledged
for years.  The velocity of change has been largely centered around
increased language support rather than significant service expansion and/or
bug fixes.  It comes across as "We've invested in this GAE ecosystem.  What
can we do to get more people to adopt it before we invest too much more?"
 So rather than expand/enhance the services themselves they focused on
additional language bindings.  Now, it feels like they've realized even the
additional language bindings weren't enough.

The recent announcements around the Google Cloud Platform Live event make
it pretty clear that Google realizes it can't tackle the cloud alone.  With
Kubernetes/Google Container Engine, bitnami, and Managed VMs for App Engine
it's clear Google is building around Google Compute Engine in much the same
way Amazon built AWS around EC2.  I'm sure at some point all App Engine
instances will be migrated to Compute Engine.  Other than VMs for App
Engine going beta I don't think there were any GAE service expansion
announcements at the Live event.  So this new, open, cooperate, run
anything approach is the shiny new toy in the Google Cloud group (I don't
see this as a bad thing... just more evidence that legacy GAE core services
are NOT a priority).

There's A LOT to like about GAE... I REALLY like the dynamic image serving
service, IP geo-location with every request, ndb w/ integrated auto
memcaching, and NOT having to worry about OS and web server
configuration!!!  GAE's ease of use is an area where Google actually has an
advantage over AWS.  But as a developer there's an uneasy feeling about
adopting a proprietary platform like GAE when you see legitimate bugs
remaining stale for years at a time and the rate of service
expansion/enhancement seems almost stagnate.  All the new announcements
seem to be pointing somewhere beyond legacy GAE which just reinforces the
uneasy feeling.

 - Doug