Google officially 'abandoned' this forum when they moved general support to
stackoverflow, so that's nothing new. And let's be honest, there was really
only one person reliably following this forum before then - Ikai.
Occasionally other @google.com folks would chime in but it was pretty much
a one man show, and that one man wanted a change. It happens.

The bigger reason to suspect diminishing commitment to GAE (other than
fairly slow pace of new feature rollouts) is that GAE gets little mention
at I/O.

On the other hand, Google is going "big" into cloud services in general,
and GAE is now just one part of that offering. On the plus side, GAE
benefits a lot by riding that wave - managed VMs, datastore integration
with Compute Engine, a whole new admin console, etc. On the downside, I'm
guessing there's a lot of institutional distraction, and all the "cool
kids" want to work on Compute Engine or whatnot.

And let's not forget that GAE rolled out PHP relatively recently. That must
have taken a lot of development effort (sigh).

Jeff