That's not really true. There are a lot of people working on the GWT
module, getting them out of GWT and moving them to standalone artifacts.
Doing that, they replace JSNI with JsInterop, replace generators, etc. This
is all done, to get GWT 2 ready for GWT 3. And if you want to see something
existing in GWT 3, you can ask vertispan to do the job.

With the knowledge about the things, that will change with GWT 3 / J2CL, I
was able to make mvp4g ready for GWT 3 / J2CL. I replaced the generator
with APT and remove the dependency to any GWT classes. I created a sample
application based on the new version (mvp4g2) and Elemental 2. And yes, it
works with J2CL.

And, keep in mind, applications written in GWT in 2010 still work. What was
the favorite JS framework at that time? I don't remember.