>    1. The backing company backed off but kept the crucial new piece
>    secret - J2CL.
>
> These days it is already available to a few people who take their spare
time to make it useable by the general public.

>    1. The past and current stated direction devolves the product, does
>    not evolve it. Good, differentiating features aren't enhanced or even
>    replaced but just plain eliminated under the premise that select few NOW
>    (but not all) think they are bad but are really only hard to do, which is
>    what makes them useful (say GWT RPC, debugging, widgets). I could have
>    helped with that. No more, though.
>
> GWT 3 compatible UiBinder already exists, GWT 3 compatible GWT RPC is
being worked on, Widgets will be GWT 3 compatible, other code is already
GWT 3 compatible or is being worked on. There are quite some new people who
never really contributed to GWT itself before who now step up and invest
time in migrating existing GWT SDK code to JsInterop / APT. So you can
still help if you want to.

See:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b1D9fEqRh5lZ8cqMJtYoc_25rfTRvsuJkTtS2vjgi3o/edit#gid=0
https://ci.vertispan.com

>    1. Inability to plan proper migration to 3.x - "just don't use
>    anything useful from previous versions" obviously doesn't cut it.
>
> People were a bit too scary I think. Obviously a migration plan must be
planned and can only be planned if you have the tools like JsInterop,
elemental2, J2CL to do so. As you see above it does not look that scary
anymore. A bunch of people are working on migrating GWT code, even the
tough ones like GWT-RPC / UiBinder (though they require some changes in
apps because of APT).

Current plan is that you must get rid of any deprecated GWT APIs in your
app as these will finally be deleted. Then you pull in the new libraries
and update your imports. Finally you have to apply (hopefully small) code
changes in your app to meet the "no GWT.create(), no JSNI" requirement.

> If and when it comes back, it will be a totally new contender (not
> compatible with anything there ever was as is) to reevaluate, with a huge
> stain in its history.

A pretty appealing contender.

-- J.