I think this is absolutely right:

> I do though, get your point on why aren't IBM, Dell,
> BBC using GWT - the answer I suggest is three-fold
>
> a) These are (mostly) web sites not web applications and have lots of
> legacy content.  They are going to possibly struggle to justify the
> benefit of GWT in comparison to cost already sunk, and a large number
> of them don't need to - why move to mechanised looms if your
> comfortable with your current cloth being produced?
>
> b) Look at the basic purpose of most of those sites, especially the
> featured ones; they are effectively brand advertising, and as such
> need to be indexed by search engines otherwise their return on
> investment is zero.  JQuery is good at keeping that, as you generally
> load HTML which is then manipulated by JavaScript - this way, the
> search engine can index the HTML and the user sees a slightly flashier
> version.  Sure, you can do a similar thing with GWT but not in such an
> elegant manner - but the point of GWT is to build applications not web
> sites.

Also big sites that are applications (the Amazons etc of this world)
are not going to rewrite everything just like that. For building a new
RIA, for building new business applications or for building
replacement browser UI to existing back end business systems, GWT is a
very strong candidate.

regards
gregor

c) The teams behind it would probably need investement in retooling