I wouldn't say "contradiction", I believe all aspects mentioned
(inertia/retooling/SEO/experience/through life cost/future development
cost/others) all combine to inform the decision of what technology to
eventually use.  In certain circumstances some aspects will weigh
higher than others.

Your example is a good case in point - did GWT naturally fit your
design?  How easy was it to do, how managed do you feel the resulting
code is, how much easier would it be for you to have done it in
JQuery?  How much do you think your design was influenced by thinking
of a GWT application as a multi-page app as opposed to a single page
one?  How much more complex is your application to some of those
examples shown using JQuery?

There are many questions that feed into stuff, which makes it hard to
say why one is better than another.  Though, if I'm going to build a
complex application from scratch, then I would evaluate other
technologies on a basis of why would I use it instead of GWT as I
think GWT should be the starting point that others need to reach.

Right now I would say the world is JavaScript focussed and there are
many JavaScript coders out there, and hence the natural choice is
JavaScript libraries.  As we push the boundaries on complexity, so we
need better and better tools/environments etc, and I believe GWT is
well placed for when complexity catches up.

Just for interest, there is a JQuery library for GWT:
http://code.google.com/p/gwtquery/

//Adam