gwt's pretty amazing, but I think it takes a good six months to really
understand it all. If the implementors of those sites hate typing and
hate java, they'll never get to the point where they appreciate gwt.

Seems to be there's a strong anti-Java sentiment these days.  Big,
static typed languages aren't that cool now, and people are able to
make nice apps in dynamic languages (Ruby, Javascript).  Churning java
into javascript is kind of weird (or at least novel) and it takes a
while to really get it.  jQuery is tight -- you can do a lot in one
line of code. That sort of stuff wins developers over.

To me, gwt realy comes down to turning java into really tight cross-
browser javascript with clean abstractions for ajax'y apps. If that's
not a sale for you (ie, you hate java), then jQuery is probably the
next stop in the evaluation path.