Adam, did you even try GWT?
Because if you had developed a 3-4 screen application with server
connectivity you would have already answered your question. I will not
do gwt-jquery comparison here, but just few cents about gwt itself.

That "who is using" list is incomplete.
I can bet you that gwt's who is using list(if honestly made) will be
bigger than any other ajax tech adaption. Jquery's adaption list is
created by jquery itself. gwt's list you posted is not created by
google or the gwt team. FYI, we have done more than 3(big) projects
successfully overt the past 2 years and we do not care to be part of
any such lists.
GWT is more than a UI library, it is  a paradigm shift in developing
web applications. People who have spend there life in struts and other
similar web based framework will typically take a while to understand
this paradigm change. If you liked and respected swing and javascript
for what ever they are, you will probably like and understand gwt much
faster than some one who doesn't. Very fast, here are some basic
advantages that make gwt a toolkit of choice:
- Google's beta releases are production quality!
- You get answers to your question within 24 hours from a great user
community. Like you just did for this thread!
- Apache, A great license, without any fine prints.
- Dozens of supporting projects, which make GWT even better.
- Check smart gwt or ext gwt for really rich widgets.
- Couple gwt with spring and hibernate and with little plumbing you
are dealing with only java objects from client browser to the data
layer.
- A very small technology and tool stack required for the entire
project.
- Generated js is super-super fast and tiny(relatively)! You end up
writing fast and small apps.  compare it with flex and or any other
toolkit of your choice. (btw, comparing it with lo level libs like
prototype.js is wrong)
- Every thing is so modular and object oriented. you can write long
lasting apps and manage huge application easily.
- Creating reusable widgets is a snap. And that is what you do with
gwt most of the time.
- Some really great features that are unique to gwt: locale mgmt,
history token management, image bundle, exception handling  and rpc
mechanism
- I am yet to see a more elegant and easier way to communicate data
back and forth the server then gwt's rpc. You send a generic arraylist
to your client code. You cannot beat this!
- Strongly typed java is always better compared to js. You end up
making less mistakes as 80% errors are resolved by eclipse as you type
your code.
- Never seen a better way of debugging my code.
- Listeners architecture(if you understand and implement correctly) is
a great tool to decouple your app widgets/classes and make them more
reusable. Great way of event handling!
- Can keep going ...
all in all gwt rocks!!
Fine prints: There is a learning curve if you really want to build
long lasting production ready code(depends on your java experience and
understanding of swing, layouts, event handling etc). Else use one of
the ready to go widget libraries, try smart gwt.

Rakesh Wagh