I believe you are being over-pessimistic.

In my company we are using GWT since 2006 and we have build pretty large
and complicated web-apps using GWT. Some webapps created in 2006 (using GWT
1.2) are still being used today without any problem on any modern browser.
Normally old stuff keeps working in modern browsers. We do upgrade old
projects to new versions of GWT if an old project needs a big update, but
we have never updated any of our apps because it stopped working on new
browsers.

Also note that GWT is opensource (today you can download the complete
source-code, and compile it no problem).

Frank