For over a year I was trying to convince my customers (that I develop
programs for) to use GWT with their SAP system. The technologies available
over there are WebDynpro for ABAP or Business Server Pages, which do not
even know what AJAX is.

In January I managed to do that. We just finished porting one of the tool
to mobile phones with the use of GWT on SAP. We just started writing
another tool that was simply impossible to write in Web Dynpro ABAP.

It would really break my belief in Google, if now (after over a year of
convincing my customers) I would need to go back and say - GWT is no longer
available.

One thing that comes to my mind. I remember 2 years ago seeing all those
great presentations of Google Wave on Google I/O. I managed to convince my
customers to use it. We really loved it. It was great for communication.
Look where we are now with that tool. Not only it just died, but there's
also no decent export of the data from that system available (selecting at
most 10 or 100 waves and putting them to PDFs is not enough for me - it
will take me ages to select and download).
Also what was contributed by Google to the open source seems to have very
little stability. I've tried to use the projects on Apache, but the server
simply stops working after a couple of wave edits.

So what I am really affraid of, is that this lack of commits to GWT public
repository is really a way of doing the same thing as was done with Wave.
We will be left without decent source code.

I've been for years with technologies like SAP or AS/400. Those are really
annoying when you try to do something modern. But the thing that is good
about them is that they never go away. I understand that Google needs to
try new things (dart). But turning away from such a big project like GWT is
stabbing yourself in the back.