I agree 100% with your assessment of alternative technologies, and
agree that GWT is really the only solution for developing complex web
applications. The only alternative is a 100% Javascript solution (for
example using Closure tools). With Dart, Google have acknowledged that
Javascript isn't really up to the task. Given Google's reliance on GWT
for some of their core applications, I think it's fair to assume
either GWT will be around for a while or there will be some migration
path to Dart.