Hi Robert,

If we all agree community approach is the best for signalling to peer that this
prefix should be avoided why folks just do not do it today already ? Why do we
need IETF draft for that :) ?

If this is about publishing a communities which include "warning" to peers "Hey
I am bringing this prefix down soon .. "(maybe even with parameter how soon
:))) what stopping Orange to declare we will attach YZ:MN community and
re-advertise routes when we are to take down the session.

That way any peer of Orange may use it at their own discretion.

[BEN] Nothing is stopping them. The primary benefit is the use of a well-known
community that can be matched in generically constructed policies without prior
knowledge of whether the peer makes use of this procedure, and what community
they use for the purpose if they do.

- - -

The idea behind putting single message in NOTIFICATION was just to automate it
and make it deterministic. When you send community some peers may converge
quicker some much slower. You never know when your peer is done.

Here only after his best path and rib insertion of new paths around you is
complete he would tear the session. Some timeout would be defined as well. And
it will apply to all AFI/SAFIs as well as current and future BGP messages send
over given session.

[BEN] From a quick read of RFC4271:

“A NOTIFICATION message is sent when an error condition is detected.
   The BGP connection is closed immediately after it is sent.”

I can’t find any updates that contradict that.
If I understand your suggestion correctly, you mean:

1.    the peer initiating the shutdown (A) sends its peer (B) a NOTIFICATION
with a new error code that means “I’m going away shortly, please start
re-converging and let me know when you’re done”.

2.    B attempts to re-converge around the paths learnt from A (possibly
needing to initiate a route-refresh in the process?), and once it no longer has
any of those routes in its FIB sends A back a further NOTIFICATION saying “I’m
finished” and then shuts the session down.

3.    If A hasn’t heard back within a configurable timeout, then it yanks the
session anyway.

If so, that sounds like a hell of a lot of new protocol spec and router code,
to solve a fairly marginal issue. The determinism that you gain only goes one
hop into the remote network (as B’s other peers may still be converging when
the session goes down), and is therefore only guaranteed to be useful if that
network tunnels between ASBRs.
It is also unclear what a BGP speaker that didn’t understand the new code would
do when receiving a NOTIFICATION that wasn’t immediately followed by a session
reset. I suspect that would vary widely by implementation and be the source of
some fairly nasty bugs!
Compared to a line in an RFC suggesting reasonable timer values between gshut
and shutdown, this seems to be a lot more work for very little benefit.

Cheers,
Ben Maddison

Director
Workonline Communications (Pty) Ltd

Office:     +27 (0) 21 200 9000
Mobile:   +27 (0) 82 415 5545
Email:      b...@workonline.co.za<mailto:b...@workonline.co.za>
[...]

Best,
R.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Ben Maddison