Hi Robert,

From: Robert Raszuk
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2017 12:30 PM

Hi Ben & Bruno,

If we all agree community approach is the best for signalling to peer that this
prefix should be avoided why folks just do not do it today already ? Why do we
need IETF draft for that :) ?

If this is about publishing a communities which include "warning" to peers "Hey
I am bringing this prefix down soon .. "(maybe even with parameter how soon
:))) what stopping Orange to declare we will attach YZ:MN community and
re-advertise routes when we are to take down the session.

That way any peer of Orange may use it at their own discretion.

[Bruno] The benefit of using a well-known community is that everyone uses the
same. Otherwise, the operator shutting down/reloading a node with 50 EBGP
sessions would need to attach 50 different communities. And update this list of
communities as peer are configured/unconfigured.
- - -

The idea behind putting single message in NOTIFICATION was just to automate it
and make it deterministic. When you send community some peers may converge
quicker some much slower. You never know when your peer is done.
[Bruno]
- The sending of community may be automated just like the sending of another
message.
- Again, whatever type of message you use over the EBGP session, on the
receiving peer it needs to be translated in deprefering each route and sending
N updates to peers. And yes, some peers may converge quicker than others, but
there is nothing you can do about this. A clever implementation could use
heuristic to evaluate the BGP convergence of its peer (e.g. by measuring
inbound traffic). But typically a single timer is enough, because in all cases,
people will not wait/delay their maintenance forever. So if they can afford to
wait 5 minutes, they wait 5 minutes and then close the BGP session regardless
the speed of their peer.

Here only after his best path and rib insertion of new paths around you is
complete he would tear the session. Some timeout would be defined as well. And
it will apply to all AFI/SAFIs as well as current and future BGP messages send
over given session.

Best,
R.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Ben Maddison