George,
maybe it is those K&N air filters?
While I ran the K&N's during the Utah rally and had no problems at
altitude, it really didn't seem much better than stock (I have a '93
with low miles). A fellow GTS'er I met at the Utah event, tried the
K&N's on his '94 when he got back and said it ran like crap - had a flat
spot, lost 10 mph off top speed. He has ~ 50k+ miles on his engine.
'94's are supposed to run richer than '93's and with a tired engine, we
theorize that the K&N's made the bike run richer so much so that the EFI
couldn't adjust for it - it only has certain ranges within it's
preprogrammed map. That's why K&N and others are coming out with these
EFI reprogrammers.
At higher altitude, thinner air, if you're already on the rich side,
then would only get worse. Do you also have a '94 and lot of miles on
the engine?
--
Dave Biasotti // Fremont, CA