On 3/9/06, Kurt Feltenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Frankly, I thought it sucked.  How's that?  All the other items you
> list have legs in popular science fiction.  A malicious computer
> virus that will make your cell phone hate you, that's not that
> prevalent in works of the time.


When I'm reading a novel, I rarely complain to myself that "none of these
plot elements have been used repeatedly as recognizable tropes in all the
other books I've read".  I rather enjoy an idea that hasn't been rehashed a
few dozen times - even if it's rough around the edges.  I have issues with
the explanation of Virus and its function, but it inspires me towards good
fiction - which is what a roleplaying game does, at its best.  I'm not going
to complain that they neglected to rehash some story about
zombies/borg/cultists/clone-drones.


> >I'm sure each of us could
> >come up with plenty of anecdotes and hearsay to support our respective
> >positions, but I doubt that either of us could back it up with
> >anything more substantial than that.
>
> Perhaps.  I know that the groups I ran with at the time at three
> different game shops universally dumped the game and went back to
> something else.


Yep.  Anecdotes and hearsay.  My own anecdote:  I collect TNE books 'cause I
enjoy ideas for variant storylines.
_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to