Or is the mere existence of Virus in the setting enough to repulse you?

Depends on how much face time they get.

> How's that?  All the other items you
> list have legs in popular science fiction.  A malicious computer
> virus that will make your cell phone hate you, that's not that
> prevalent in works of the time.

Would you have had as much of a problem if an invasion of Berserkers
originating outside of known space had shown up and caused the havok?
Or are Berserkers also from the "wrong era" of science fiction, and
thus not suitable for inclusion?

It wouldn't have fit the mood or feel of the Traveller universe. Starting on the LBBs and moving on to MT, there was a constant feel to the universe. TNE changed all of that as well as completely changed every rules foundation that had been in place. The feel was gone.

> >I won't debate the matter of whether or not TNE drove players away,
> >other than to express my own skepticism; I'm sure each of us could
> >come up with plenty of anecdotes and hearsay to support our respective
> >positions, but I doubt that either of us could back it up with
> >anything more substantial than that.
>
> Perhaps.  I know that the groups I ran with at the time at three
> different game shops universally dumped the game and went back to
> something else.

And I know of a group that transitioned to TNE without batting an eye,
and another one that cut its teeth on TNE.  Like I said; anecdotes and
hearsay.

This isn't the forum to reopen the TNE debates, but as I said before, TNE just didn't have the feel that CT and MT, and now, GT has. They should have done with TNE what they did with T2300, spin it off to it's own unique universe.

But that's just my opinion.

Kurt Feltenberger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
TEOTWAWKI Fiction And Discussion http://www.teotwawki.net

"To our Country! In her intercourse with foreign nations,
     may she always be in the right, but our country, right or wrong!"
~Stephen Decatur

_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to