Quoting Joan Jurancich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

The best way to check for sizing is to actually measure the pattern
pieces (seam line to seam line) and compare them to your own
measurements.  As I recall (from many years ago), Period Patterns was
not very good with sizing.  I gave up using them for Elizabethan gowns.
 Until Margo developed her line of patterns, I had to have mine drafted
by friends.

Based on personal experience, that doesn't always work. I learned to sew at 11 or 12. I took Home Ec as a Freshman in High School (back in the dim reaches of time when you could take Home Ec and learn to sew .....). We sere supposed to make simple A-line dresses, but I got to make one with a waist because I'd been sewing. I told her I wore a 10. (I'd been making 10s for several years after all). She took my measurements, looked at the measurements on the envelope, measured the pattern and said that I wore a 14. We discussed it, and she prevailed (because she was the teacher and She Knew!

There was enough room in that dress for me and her and half my class.  :-(

susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]