"if it is allegorical or religious then the artist made up the garment". My
feeling is that if this were true then all medieval and renaissance artists
were fashion designers.

The Manesse drawings are simplistic and the artist does not have a full
grasp of fabric pattern draping.
The patterns can be woven, which is what the guy on the throne most likely
has. Both horizontal, diagonal,..etc. can be woven or pieced. There is a
slim possibility of bias but you need to take into account of the fabric
width of that period and region. To my understanding, fabric width very
rarely made it past 45". Though I can not locate the info anymore, I do
recall printed fabric from Byzantium at around this period so there is a
slim chance (very slim) of it being printed.

De