Also, during this period, the silk trade was flourishing. One thing the Orient
did to change fabrics was the bound dying. Using a board in a clamp to resist
and area and dye the exposed area. The bias of the fabric isn't affected and a
unique pattern is created. Maybe this is what the author/designer was doing.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Rautine