Thanks for the lead.  (The particular costuming project went in another
direction, but the theoretical question is still fascinating.)  As you note,
the really problematic aspect for the bias cut is the lack of genealogy.
(There's a similar problem for that handful of Spanish bias-plaid garments, but
in that case I'm willing to put more weight on the careful depiction of how the
pattern behaves with respect to the cloth.  I still have reservations in that
case on the genealogical side, but ...)

The woven-in-diagonals theory seems quite plausible to me from parallel
evidence for lozenge patterns.  One of the 13th c. garments at Burgos, Spain is
made from a silk fabric woven in square checkerboard-style checks (i.e.,
alternating solid colors, not a gingham-style pattern) but set lozenge-wise
with respect to the grain of the fabric.

Heather

On Oct 30, 2010, at 1:11 AM, Danielle Nunn-Weinberg wrote:

> Hi Heather,
>
> I don't get on here much these days but this caught my eye because I was
> pulling my hair out over it lately.  I have seen, a couple of manuscript
> images and I believe I might have at least one of them *somewhere* of weavers
> actually weaving the diagonal stripes.  But I will be damned if I can figure
> out where I have seen them.  I believe one was in a "book of trades" type
> manuscript, one might have turned up in one of Shelly Nordtorp-Madson slides
> that she showed us in class one day, and I'm sure one is one of my
> manuscripts or manuscript related books but I haven't been able to track any
> of them down yet.  The problem with collecting those sorts of things is you
> wind up with a lot of books.  Now I'm not saying that those are proof either
> way, but they open the door of possibility that it is fabric woven that way
> rather worn bias-cut.  Personally, I have trouble with the bias-cut garment
> theory as well purely on the garment evolution issue - what did it come from,
> and what!
  did it become afterwards?  Just my two cents...  If I ever do turn up the
pictures, I will send them to you!