Eran Tromer wrote:

About AdSense ads on mailing list archives:

I got a boilerplate response from Google, saying that the only way to find out is to go through their application process. For linux-il, that's better done after the archives issue has stabilized.

Eran

I'm sorry to come this late in the discussion, but let me cool the idea a little.

I don't like ads. I don't like browsing to sites that have ads. Hamakor was formed precisely so that we give our community a place where nobody tries to do to them all of those things that they never liked, but have grown to expect, from other places (web and otherwise).

On the other hand - Income is expected to be in the order of 1$/mo.

Our servers were donated.
Our Internet access is donated.
If one person comes to the conclusion that Hamakor are just greedy, it costs us a lot in reputation loss, plus 100NIS/yr. Personally, I think the former is the more serious issue.

In other words - although this plan seems short term profitable, I vote strongly against. Alon is welcome to approach [EMAIL PROTECTED] with this suggestion to try and convince the other board members.

I think a better way of thinking about money problems is through the expenses, rather than through the income. Remeber - this is a non-profit org. If you have a grand scheme that requires money, I'll start listening to ideas about financing sources.

For example - I had an idea to collect money and buy a few fonts for use with free software (Arial comes to mind). That is WAY expensive, however.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant