On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Eli Billauer wrote:

> Hello List.
>
> Allow me to summarize this thread so far, as I see it:
>
> 1. There is no guide that gives recommendations on how a Hebrew page
> should look like. At least not a well-known one.
> 2. We don't seem to agree among ourselves how that should be done. (And
> some of us are supposed to know something about computers and web)

  The non-agreement between Haifuxers is regarding matters that are not very
important. You can use whichever encoding you like (iso-8859-8-i,
windows-1255, or UTF-8) with good results. The main guideline is write
according to W3C specs, and use http://validator.w3.org/ to validate your
pages before publishing.

> Now, let's assume that I'm well-meaning person, who knows HTML so-so,
> and I want to write a page in Hebrew. What I'll probably do, is copy
> from some other page I saw, and test it against the browser I have.
> Which may not be the browser that we like (whatever it is).

  If you want to make sure the page is good, validate it with
http://validator.w3.org/. If you care about browser compatibility, what
professionals do is test with several browsers (at least: IE5, IE6, newest
Mozilla, newest Opera, and if you want to support really old stuff - NS4).

Look here: http://mozilla.org.il/evangel.shtml

> Ah, and I could expand this question: Is there any do and don't guide
> for general web pages? We keep blaming sites for being non-standard, but
> is there any simple guide anywhere that tells the web author what to do?
> It's easy to say that a site should be W3C compliant, but what is W3C
> exactly? Is there any simple text (defenitely not the standard itself)
> that the non-genius web author can read, and say, "I'll do this"?

  First of all, if you have looked into the standard, it's not that hard to
read. If you don't want to read the whole standard, read only the parts
relevant to what you're doing. You can use authoring tools such as Mozilla
Composer to write the page and (almost) ensure vaild HTML, and compatability
with all browsers.

  Alon

--
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ICQ:1366540
GPG public key at http://alon.wox.org/pubkey.txt