Ron Artstein wrote:

With UTF-8 you ... reduce to (almost) zero the chance the site
will be viewed with a wrong encoding.

Oh yeah?

Just yesterday I ran into a page that had what looked at first to
be unrecognized windows-1255 or iso-8859-8 encoding (with Hebrew
characters appearing as lowercase accented Latin characters), but
it turned out that these Latin characters were in UTF-8.

I was even able to read the text by performing mental substitutions
(a-grave = alef, a-acute = bet etc), but I wasn't able to find a
way to convert these characters to Hebrew. What I needed and didn't
have was a UTF-8 > Latin-1 filter.

Instructions out of your predicament (for future note):
A. Copy the text into the clipboard.
B. Run "LC_CTYPE=en_US kedit" (or whatever other editor that supports clipboard).
C. Paste the text there, and save it.
D. Run "LC_CTYPE=he_UL kedit file"

viola! you have your text.

Shachar