My Mum had this sort of issue with Talk-Talk. They wouldn't (via the
script read from their Mumbai call centre) escalate the problem to
Openreach even though ALL the Talk-Talk customers in her street (4+)
were without a phone....
I tried in vain to speak to a supervisor when reporting the problem.
They also expected every T-T customer to have a mobile phone where their
calls could be diverted to (WTF?)
IN the end, I collared an OpenReach engineer who was working at the box
near her house.
He sorted everything out within an hour.

Her phone service is now back with BT. At least their fault line is 0800
not 0870....

There seems to be some business metric in these large suppliers that
restrict the number of calls they report onto BT. This is probably for
fear of getting charged by BT if there is not fault.
BT have the kit and the systems to do a physical line check while you
are on the phone reporting the fault. They have had this since CSS was
implemented 20 years ago. I wonder if the companies that offer LLU have
this ability?

Finally, some of these 'cheapo companies' don't care a toss about being
reported to Ofcom. All they want is to keep sucking money from you as
I'm having with the plonkers at Tiscali.

Stephen D