2009/6/14 Phillip Chandler <phillip.chand...@ntlworld.com>:
> On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 13:58 +0100, John Cooper wrote:
>
> As an MS user, O/S and software, I can tell you, hand on heart and my £20 in
> the pot,
> that OO is more bloated than MS Office, so quit trying to con me that its
> not, Ive done the
> homework on my machine, and if needed can come along and demonstrate.
> The lot of you can sprout your big fancy dictionary rubbish all day.
>
> Heres what you do. Go into synaptic, select all of the OO progs, and
> just see the total MB at the bottom that your system is going to remove.
> I can tell you that MS Office is, at worst, only 2/3 the size.

How really cares about 20 -100 MB difference these days ? Can't you
afford a 20 GB hard disk :P
> I had my watch counting the seconds that it took to load OO writer, then
> did the same with MS Word under Crossover, and it was definitely more
> than 5 seconds, which might not sound a lot, but its the fact.

Please use windows. There is no future for crossover or wine . Both of
them will break the machines. We dont want people complaining my so
and so game crashed the system .. ubuntu sucks .. WTF
> But not everyone
> has the latest and greatest hardware, and sure dont have the obvious
> funds that you may have to upgrade. Freedom of choice only works so far,
> XP Office works faster and better for me under linux, than OO.

FYI I come from India (3rd world :P ).. and many of us are happily
using Open Office . I am also glad to say that many corporates are
removing MS office since OO satisfies their basic needs .
> expected to use it with linux. Debian users might think that "Real Linux
> Users use FOSS, and nothing else", but I dont.
Agree , After all it's your machine , time and resources and finally
its you who has to gain from the productivity the machine gives .
I also agree that OO has long way to go . Let's help OO and I wish all
of us post feature requests and file bugs to the Quality assurance
team .

My small opinion on OO: Here is a project which is trying to mimic a
M$ product which is closed. How do you expect .doc or .docx files to
work perfectly ? But still OO is trying to do its level best . Be
happy that you are freely (cost and freedom) able to open a
propreitary standard  doc,ppt etc and are able to edit it (not
perfectly) and save it in the same format,export to free formats like
ODP and other formats like PDF,HTML etc .

As LUG people it's our duty to spread the usage of Open documents (ODP
) . Also provide a PDF file for non - OO users as non-OO users dont
deserve to edit the file :P

> If I want a stable, secure system with dvd playback and an office that I
> dont have to scratch waiting for it to load, and I have to pay whatever
> to get that, then I will willingly pay for the privilege. But then a
> system is only as secure as the competence of the end user.

>> By trying to improve this they need our help. Your comments will prevent
>> people even trying open office as it is not as bad as you make out. OO
>> is at v3, MS office is v10 (or 11?). It will improve the more people and
>> companies use it, but it is far from crap.

Guys please stop crying over the list . Start complaining and file
bugs. The open office quality assurance team needs you desparately .
If you really care about Free as in Freedom .. and if you want things
to improve in free software go to
http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/project_issues.html

> This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
> solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
May be confidential ? LOL dude you are posting to a *mailing list* :P
And please use short footers.
Regards,
Pavithran

--