On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:26:49 +0100
David Ramsden <da...@0wned.it> wrote:

> Alan Pope wrote:
> > 2009/8/6 David Ramsden <da...@0wned.it>:
> >> I have the need to upgrade 3 remote servers from Debian to Ubuntu.
> >> I'd like to avoid a complete re-install because:
> >
> > Blimey, you're brave posting "Upgrade .. from Debian to Ubuntu" on
> > this list. Get your best flame retardant underpants on.

I didn't like to comment ;-)

> > Apparently, if I want to run the latest version of the required
> software, I have to use Ubuntu now. Which is a bit of a pain when
> there are these three Debian servers out there...

> One server is currently on Debian 5.0.2, the others are Debian 4.0.
> The required software now needs Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

what software package can't you get with Debian 5.0.2?

Debian 4.0 is pretty old nowadays and should be upgraded to current
stable at the very least.

Is the package you need in Debian testing?

If you are willing to do a weekly aptitude update/upgrade on the
servers it would be simpler to move to Debian testing by editing
the /etc/apt/sources.list and doing an aptitude update/aptitude
dist-upgrade on the 5.0.2 box.

Going from 4.0 to testing would be risky doing it in one step,
especially doing it remotely

I don't know enough about 'backporting' packages to know if that is
a possibility

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop