2009/8/7 David Ramsden <da...@0wned.it>:
> Andy Smith wrote:
> [snip]
>> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 04:57:52PM +0100, David Ramsden wrote:
>>> I have the need to upgrade 3 remote servers from Debian to Ubuntu. I'd
>>> like to avoid a complete re-install because:
>>>    a) The servers are all remote and in three separate geographical
>>> locations.
>>>    b) I don't have any lights out or remote hands.
>>
>> My advice is, upgrade your colo first. :)
>>

> Thanks Andy :)
>
> Unfortunately these aren't my boxen and I don't have control over the
> budget. Sometimes a budget means certain components have to be removed.
> A stick of RAM here and there, lights out etc.
>
> Having attempted a migration from Debian 5.0.2 to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (in a
> VM), it went better than I expected. I didn't end up in "dependency
> hell" which was suprising.
>
> But I didn't have a bootable system afterwards :( Not sure why. It just
> can't find the HDD drives and hangs on waiting for root system (can't
> remember the exact message now). Seems like the initrd is a bit screwed
> for whatever reason, even though I rebuilt the initrd and pulled it apart.
>
> I'll add my notes to the Wiki at some stage if someone else fancies a go
> at this.
>
> Regards,
> David.
> --
>  .''`.     David Ramsden
> : :'  :    http://0wned.it/
> `. `'`     PGP key ID: 3454B217 on wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net
>   `-  Debian - Because it works (tm).
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk

I have  moved from 32bit to 64 bit by installing in a new partition
(via a chroot) and then swapped the grub paths over. Would a similar
approach work here?

I worry that Debian and Ubuntu have different important scripts (such
as init) which wont upgrade so nicely - there are assumptions made
about what exists on a base system that dependencies may not cover
correctly.

Have you considered the debian packports to get newer stuff working?
(backports.org). I often run Ubuntu only stuff on Debian if it is
something that is supported on Hardy (stuff only on Jaunty will be
very hard on Debian stable). I suppose it depends whether you MUST
have support, or if you can reproduce a problem on another box to get
the support. Most support requests tend not to check the system
versions that carefully...

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: an...@piatek.co.uk

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.