Hi David,

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:40:23AM +0100, David Ramsden wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
> [snip]
> > On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 04:57:52PM +0100, David Ramsden wrote:
> >> I have the need to upgrade 3 remote servers from Debian to Ubuntu. I'd
> >> like to avoid a complete re-install because:
> >>    a) The servers are all remote and in three separate geographical
> >> locations.
> >>    b) I don't have any lights out or remote hands.
> >
> > My advice is, upgrade your colo first. :)
>
> Thanks Andy :)
>
> Unfortunately these aren't my boxen and I don't have control over the
> budget. Sometimes a budget means certain components have to be removed.
> A stick of RAM here and there, lights out etc.

I honestly don't see how a machine is remotely manageable without
ability to access its console and power.  With those and at least
one other machine you also get network reinstallation as an option
(or with decent lights out of course).  Also if it's the case that
the motherboard doesn't support serial console redirection then the
chances are the components are just desktop ones too..  There's
cost-cutting and there's false economy.

But I'm sure you're aware of all that.

If I did find myself having to do this I would not attempt an
upgrade inside the existing OS.  I would turn off swap, use the swap
device as a new root device, debootstrap to install a minimal
Debian, adjust grub to boot off the former swap device (with option
to boot back into ubuntu if it went wrong).  Once it was working I'd
put the rest of the system into LVM.

>> I have just recently purchased a Feathercraft Big Kahuna kayak
> does it have a heater?
Of course not.  Everyone knows you can't have your kayak and heat it.
  -- James Fidell