Andy Smith wrote:
[snip]
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 04:57:52PM +0100, David Ramsden wrote:
>> I have the need to upgrade 3 remote servers from Debian to Ubuntu. I'd
>> like to avoid a complete re-install because:
>>    a) The servers are all remote and in three separate geographical
>> locations.
>>    b) I don't have any lights out or remote hands.
>
> My advice is, upgrade your colo first. :)

Thanks Andy :)

Unfortunately these aren't my boxen and I don't have control over the
budget. Sometimes a budget means certain components have to be removed.
A stick of RAM here and there, lights out etc.

Having attempted a migration from Debian 5.0.2 to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (in a
VM), it went better than I expected. I didn't end up in "dependency
hell" which was suprising.

But I didn't have a bootable system afterwards :( Not sure why. It just
can't find the HDD drives and hangs on waiting for root system (can't
remember the exact message now). Seems like the initrd is a bit screwed
for whatever reason, even though I rebuilt the initrd and pulled it apart.

I'll add my notes to the Wiki at some stage if someone else fancies a go
at this.

Regards,
David.
--