On 07/10/2012 15:47, Alan Pope wrote:
On 07/10/12 16:16, Gordon Scott wrote:
My struggle with Unity continues :-/

This is not really a Unity issue.

Um, OK, though as I say, it's there and working on gnome-fallback.
Michael's method of using the File menu appears to pop up the tool that Gnome uses, so I'll likely try that.

To me It seems telling that I'm not sure I'd even realised there _were_ menus as they're hidden until I hover on that screen-top bar. That still seems horribly counter-intuitive to me. Why move it away from where they're used, why hide them until hover? My eyes are much faster then waving a mouse over the top-bar to see if there's something helpful there. Alt-Menus again may be better when they work properly with focus-follows-mouse.

Can anyone tell me how to get a samba drive on my server mounted on my
new PC with Unity, such that I can write to it and so it mounts
automatically? Searches in the Dash for Samba, smb, map, mount, drive,
window, even nfs all come up with usually nothing, occasionally nothing
useful.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

Cheers,

Oh, right, just like we used to do it a decade or two ago.
I'd completely forgotten and become used to the newer way.

I'm comfortable with modifying fstab, if somewhat surprised.
How is a newbie to Linux now recommended to find that out?

I guess I'll search around there for theme and top-bar solutions?

Kind regards,
                        Gordon.