On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 22:37:24 +0000
Gordon Scott <gor...@gscott.co.uk> wrote:

> So now, for the moment at least, we've both reverted to Gnome.
>
> Personally I'll likely now switch to an fvwm set-up, which I always
> preferred, only having changed to Gnome to 'go with the flow'.

I am trying Enlightenment (e18) on my laptop, an ancient Compaq Evo N160
and it works quite well. It is easily configurable and I feel quite at
home with it as left-button clicking on the desktop pops up the menu, a
bit like windowmaker did.

I have added various apps to the single 'Shelf'  which sits at bottom
of screen and have set it up with 6 'desktops' so can run each app in
its own workspace.   Just as I like it ;-)

Worth a try
--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server