** john lewis <zen57...@zen.co.uk> [2012-11-09 10:27]:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 22:37:24 +0000
> Gordon Scott <gor...@gscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > So now, for the moment at least, we've both reverted to Gnome.
> >
> > Personally I'll likely now switch to an fvwm set-up, which I always
> > preferred, only having changed to Gnome to 'go with the flow'.
>
> I am trying Enlightenment (e18) on my laptop, an ancient Compaq Evo N160
> and it works quite well. It is easily configurable and I feel quite at
> home with it as left-button clicking on the desktop pops up the menu, a
> bit like windowmaker did.
>
> I have added various apps to the single 'Shelf'  which sits at bottom
> of screen and have set it up with 6 'desktops' so can run each app in
> its own workspace.   Just as I like it ;-)
>
> Worth a try
** end quote [john lewis]

That takes me back a bit, I used Enlightenment back in 2000/1 (E16 iirc).
Initially it was under Gnome, but after a while I dropped the overhead of Gnome
as I realised I wasn't making use of anything it provided and really didn't
miss it - I liked the middle click menu and still sometimes check for it!

With the release of 12.10 I've abandoned Unity on my netbook. I've stuck with
it since the start, but the performance on my netbook is too poor - I can see
the four stages of shade when a menu comes up with a pause in between and a
long pause before they start!! I am now back to XFCE which I left behind when I
switched to Ubuntu in the first place - largely to go with the flow.

I suspect my desktop is likely to be abandoning Unity too, although I've not
tried 12.10 on it yet. Unity really doesn't do dual monitors well and bugs seem
to come and go with each update - for a while I lost dual screens altogether
(which only worked in the first place with a manual fix). The bug I've reported
with the mouse jumping to the wrong side of the screen when you switch screens
still hasn't been fixed, and has in fact got worse as I used to be able to
avoid it by not hiding the dash. It also now doesn't drag and drop properly,
when I drag an icon the mouse shows on the correct screen and the icon shows
one screen left meaning it is impossible to drag files around in Nautilus for
example. This may be related to my graphics driver perhaps, but the bug report
has people with nVidia as well as my AMD cards suffering. I've not upgraded
yet, partly because I want to do a clean install, and partly because the
upgrade tells me my hardware may not be fully supported and I just don't want
the hassle at the moment - I fear the worst as 2D has been abandoned (or
merged) and my cards fail to run in 3D always defaulting back to 2D in spite of
being plenty powerful enough to cope if the software supported them.