On Friday 13 Sep 2013 14:30:11 Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:36:04 +0100
> Gordon Scott <gor...@gscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Gordon,
>
> >I've been _very_ confident for a long time now that Google scans and
> >uses gmail content.
>
> They always have.  They've never hidden that fact.  That's why, like
> you, I prefer to avoid them.

Technically, most ISPs do, even if it's just scanning for SPAM.

If it's simply deciding what advert to show to you, that's one thing,
and not something I'd consider an invasion of privacy. YMMV.

If it's to forward juicy looking conversations to humans so they can
have a laugh about your private life, that's something completely
different.

> What I can't believe, because it's simply not possible, is that google
> 'accidentally' slurped up people's data whilst driving around taking
> pictures for streetview.

What's Google? 'Google' the company doesn't do anything, because it's
just a legal entity. The directors of Google make decisions and tell
their employees to do things. Those employees do things, but not always
in the way expected by those who originally had the idea.

Sometimes code put into software by developers is meant to be removed
or disabled for production, and sometimes it isn't either by lazyness,
incompetence or someone making an ad hoc decision not to.

It's perfectly possible for 'Google' to do something that 'Google'
hadn't meant to do (whether it was accidental or not, I have no
idea, but it *is* possible for it to have been).

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn