I think we should use the IETF format, (the W3C model that Viktor mentioned)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag

only two letters, except when we need it. As we lack documentation, at this
stage it doesn't make sense to me even to split the pt language into
pt-BR (my language) and pt only. We can use the ietf "shortest code" rule
adding the -SUBCODE only when the necessity arrives.

You can find the table here:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry