Tons of WD raptors DOA here, but none have failed on me (36, 74 or 150GB) once they spun up.

The only consistency in the hardware industry is inconsistency.

From: Sam Franc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Hardware List <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] Seagate drive died
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 10:30:13 -0700

We sure have varying experiences with HDs.
I have had a lot of WDs fail on me too, along with Maxtors.
Fate does not seem to be kind.
Sam

Scott Sipe wrote:
Well, my seagate 7200.10 320gb perpendicular drive died after 7-8 months of usage.

No warning signs, no temperature issues (surrounded by fans), not moved around, it just happened when rebooting after installing some windows updates. Drive emits what sounds like a beeping noise. Fortunately most of the important stuff is backed up, but still lost a good bit.

Very disappointed--haven't had a drive fail that fast in a long time. Googling around it seems like a lot of people are running into dying seagates that make a beeping like noise.

Big thumbs down and back to WD for me..

Scott

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507