Ironically perhaps, the main disk in my system is still a circa 2004 firstgen 36gb raptor :)

For those of you that deal with a large volume of disks, what seems to be the most reliable right now? I've had good luck with WDs, but with limited experience. Of computers I've built in the past five years (probably only ~10-15 tops) I don't think I've had any disks dying (at least after being put into service) before this seagate. The biggest problem has been powersupplies by FAR..

someone should make a raid-in-a-disk -- one 3.5 inch chassis, two totally separate, self-contained disks internally, with a raid controller etc.

Scott

On May 12, 2007, at 10:22 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

WD36 is about the highest fail rate drive I know of. About 1 in 4 dies in the first few days for us. :(

From: "Hayes Elkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 22:10:50
To:hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Seagate drive died

Tons of WD raptors DOA here, but none have failed on me (36, 74 or 150GB)
once they spun up.

The only consistency in the hardware industry is inconsistency.

From: Sam Franc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Hardware List <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 10:30:13 -0700

We sure have varying experiences with HDs.
I have had a lot of WDs fail on me too, along with Maxtors.
Fate does not seem to be kind.
Sam

Scott Sipe wrote:
Well, my seagate 7200.10 320gb perpendicular drive died after 7-8 months
of usage.

No warning signs, no temperature issues (surrounded by fans), not moved around, it just happened when rebooting after installing some windows updates. Drive emits what sounds like a beeping noise. Fortunately most of
the important stuff is backed up, but still lost a good bit.

Very disappointed--haven't had a drive fail that fast in a long time.
Googling around it seems like a lot of people are running into dying
seagates that make a beeping like noise.

Big thumbs down and back to WD for me..

Scott

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en- us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507