Ben,
Fully understand this from previous threads. I was really focused at a pure BSD/*nix kind of choice. My bad. I still have much to remember; and learn.

Yes, I have several old friends (not on our list) that still use a vast array of older MAC platforms, and, oddly, we still converse test-wise. Rich-text and graphic sharing is sketchy, but doable.
Yes, I will now start looking (pricing).
Best,
Duncan