At 12:47 PM 28/09/2008, DHSinclair wrote:
Thane,
Yes, I do plan to use my Bart's CD a bit later. I did one check last night b4 bed by booting into the low level bios for the A7499 chip of the RAID card -<ctrl>A - during the server post. This got me to the low-speed side of the card, but it is here that I can view/scan both of the card's channels- A and B. The B channel holds the card's controller, a CDROM, and my dds tape unit. This is correct and expected.

Sadly, when I scanned the A channel (U160) all I saw was the RAID Card's controller. None of the 3 installed and running hds answered the scan. Odd. This I have never seen before in scsi-land.

This leads me to posit a bad Channel A cable, the RAID cage (SCA80) interface board, or, the RAID controller card as possible suspects. The hard drives do actually spin up, so I conclude that +12v is working after a fashion. I will check +5v today and carefully inspect the cable, cage and RAID card. No, I have ruled out the server psu either!

If nothing shows up, then I will proceed to drive the Bart's CD. This is a weird one for me. Thank you for the shout.

I'd start by switching SCSI cables, then SCSI connectors. (You've probably already done this, I know.)