Windows, or any other OS for that matter, will boot successfully from a
degraded array. Windows itself has no knowledge of the array being optimal,
degraded, or anything else--that's handled by the controller itself. The
operating system doesn't even know anything about the individual disks
attached, since again, it's all obfuscated by the controller's firmware.

My guess is that your bad drive has been going bad for a while, and has
caused some silent data corruption prior to fully kicking the bucket. Or,
the card itself is bad. Or, the driver is causing some problems as it deals
with/attempts to report the fault condition.

RAID is never a substitute for good backup procedures. RAID does nothing
more than increase availability (and performance, depending upon a number of
factors). It's no data-protection cure-all, as your situation may ultimately
reveal.

Greg