On 7/1/10 7:45 AM, Thane Sherrington wrote:
> At 06:07 PM 30/06/2010, CW wrote:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9178671/Update_Dell_knew_thousands_of_PCs_were_faulty_court_papers_say
>>

>> So, the suit alleges deceptive practices, etc.
>>
>> I'm wondering how bad this works out or if this turns into a major
>> class action.
>
> Probably won't be good.  IBM had similar problems with NetVistas, but
> their solution was to replace all motherboards that failed under
> warranty (and these were machines two plus years out of warranty.)
> Dell is not a company you want to deal with from a service perspective.

I remember when I was dealing with the federal government, they had a
ton of GX270s that had motherboards replaced.

Dell made a point of sending out extra systems to areas hardest hit, and
there was an internal push to inspect systems.

Of course if you missed the 3 year warranty, you were out of luck.

IBM dealt with it better, IMHO, but I am biased (work for IBM).   I have
seen IBM bend over backwards, including flying people on site to help
customers, admittedly this is enterprise storage.

My experience with Dell as large account customer was no where near as
good.  It got to the point that we would only use the online "chat", as
we could say we need part X, and usually get it.

Back when Thinkpads were IBM, and the Federal Government had the laptop
contract with IBM, I had IBM send me a replacement motherboard UPS Sonic
Air... Next flight out.   I had a UPS guy at at my house dropping off
the part at 3:30 am, he had picked it up at the phoenix airport at about
1am and drove it down to Tucson.

I have not dealt with Lenovo on these types of things, so I can't
comment there.

                            Harry