W8.1 - still waiting for comments/discussion!
Thanks,
Duncan

On 08/23/2013 12:07, Greg Sevart wrote:
You cannot run an in-place upgrade from x86 to x64 on any Windows OS.

XP was released 11 years ago. At the time extended support stops, they'll
have released 4 new versions (Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1) since XP was first GA. I
think that's plenty long (too long) to support a client OS without comparing
them to the Borg.

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of FORC5
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 9:44 AM
To: hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] dumb question

I agree completely but for a business customer, built 4 systems, PURCHASED
the SW and he is getting WGA messages on two of them. Not had a change to
get there and see what is up with that.
There are a lot of PPL and businesses I believe will be using XP for a long
time to come, I guess as with the Borg and MS resistance is futile ! But it
costs money and a lot of ppl do not have a lot a loose change these days.
Computers OS's are low priority to most.

I am going to suggest to them that now may be a good time to froggy hop to
W7. I'll try to explain the security issues to them. Not sure if all their
SW is compatible or not. Dread doing 4 clean installs, last time did ONE and
cloned the rest and changed the keys and the network ID's, identical HW on
all 4.

thanks
fp

At 07:33 AM 8/23/2013, Brian Weeden Poked the stick with:

Don't think so.  They are completely different code bases.  Besides,
should be moving off XP anyways. Next April Microsoft stops issuing
security patches for XP forever.  It's basically open season on
anything running XP after that.

---------
Brian
Date:  Friday, August 23rd, 2013