>>That being said...doing so in a portable and platform independent way is
>>actually HARDER in Java than in C (and by C I mean
>>C/C++/Objective-C...whatever).  Read the Sable paper...  you'll see what
>>I mean :-)

Why should it be so? I guess the platform dependent code emission code is
err ... not platform independent anyway. Also, if the reference platform is
for instance LLVM, or some other, off the shelf, low-level intermediate
representation, then there is no more platform dependence to take care of at
the JVM level (I suppose)...

RB