On 5/20/05 12:20 PM, "crispyalien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I just wanted to say that a free opensource VM with do a lot of
> harmonyzation in Java world.

I agree that it will be of great benefit.  It's why I'm on this list, after
all.

I guess my point, though, is that this project doesn't "disharmonize" the
aspects of the Java world that (at least from where I sit) get the most
press.

> This is more or les the missing pice.

Yup, for a complete end-to-end OpenSource Java solution, it is the missing
piece.  But the project isn't call "Missing Piece" it's called "Harmony" and
that's going to cause some confusion.

Just saying people shouldn't be surprised when questions like...

  "will Harmony fix the <insert favorite Java disharmony>"?

...get asked.

> There
> are some free java VMs but they will never be used in critical by the
> companys to run there applications if it won't be backed-up by a big
> (and well known for it's qality) company/fundation. I think Appache
> fundation cand be that sponsor. I also believe that Harmony should only
> be about VM+classpath.

Me too.  I'm *not* advocating for a change of scope.  Harmony is what it is:
a project to create a standards compliant, OpenSource, Java compiler, JVM, a
class library.  (If one wanted to blaspheme, one might be inclined to point
out that it's essentially the Java equivalent of Mono in terms of scope and
goals.)

Just pointing out that the project's name "Harmony" isn't particularly good
at indicating what that scope is.  Indeed, it can be a bit misleading when
considering the other, high-visibility, areas within Java where "disharmony"
exists.

- Gary