On Jul 13, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

I agree with doing this.  Ideally it is something that would appear on
the Foundation website, i.e. not just for Project Harmony, but making it
a clear policy is certainly the right thing to do.

Yes - I'm going to help get an ASF-wide policy on this, but we can
get it sorted out here first.

FWIW the IETF do an equivalent thing (http://www.ietf.org/ maillist.html)
and even have it written on a piece of paper that is thrust into your
hand at the group meetings.

The tiniest nit:

If you do not wish your post to be a Contribution, please do not
post it. However, in the event that you do, ...

how about
If you do not wish your post to be a Contribution, we would prefer that
you do not post it. However, in the event that you do, ...

done

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

I'm focused on bringing our legal framework issues to conclusion.  (I
have a long flight today, so expect to see something COB today...)

However, there's an issue that's been brought to my attention from
several people, and I wish propose that we explicitly state our mailing list policies, as they are now based on "general understandING" rather
than a written policy that's available to  everyone.

I propose the following is added to the top of the mailing list page on the site (I've added and published, currently marked as proposed) and included in the welcome message for each subscriber, and posted once a
month to all lists as part of a monthly FAQ :

Apache Harmony mailing lists operate under the following terms :

This forum has been created for public communication about projects of The Apache Software Foundation (the "Foundation"), a Delaware nonprofit
corporation classified as a public charity under 501(c)(3).  All
communication intentionally submitted to the Foundation on this forum is considered a Contribution to the Foundation unless otherwise noted
in the communication. The terms and conditions that apply to  your
Contributions are defined by either a contributor license  agreement
(CLA) signed by you and/or your employer or, if no such CLA is on file
at the Foundation, by the terms and conditions of  Contributions as
defined by the Apache License, Version 2.0.

Further :

1) If you do not wish your post to be a Contribution, please do not
post it. However, in the event that you do, please mark as "NOT A
CONTRIBUTION" at the top of the posting.

2) Do not post any code that is not your original work, or code that
you do not have clear authorization to contribute.

3) Do not engage in detailed discussion of any implementation that you
have been exposed to unless such implementation is available to
everyone under an open source license or is your own implementation.

4) Under no circumstances will any committer accept code for inclusion in our SVN repository contributed on the mailing list unless it is from
an Authorized Contributor, as defined $link.

(I'm still working on the $link :)

Comments?

--

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])