Hi,

Please see this thread for previous discussion on this matter ...

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/[EMAIL
 PROTECTED]

Best regards,
George

Tim Ellison wrote:
You have a valid point.

We used to store the dependencies in our SVN, then there was discussion
about redistributing these, so we moved to downloading them.

I don't really care where they are hosted (i.e. a JAR repository at
Apache or ibiblio or random projects) -- whatever the project mentors
think is best practice for the ASF.

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed that the build system tends to download external files.
While I see some merit to this, I think that it is not a good approach
in general, as it creates a very fragile build system in the long term.

Imagine that some bug is discovered in Harmony 25.4.  Regressions are
applied against it and historical versions.  Versions 24.x, 23.x, 22.x
all exhibit the same bug.  Then, ooops!, version 21.7 does not build as
some library dependency can't be satisfied, the remote host has
died/changed URL/etc.

I can understand that we might not want to store dependency libraries in
the repository (yet, I am not that sure I really understand...).  What
prevents us from storing them on the web site?  (I guess the web site is
already all in the repository anyway, so storing them in one branch or
another doesn't make much difference other than the difficulty to
checkout the system, then building w/o a network connection...)

Unless we don't consider building historical versions as being
important, or that a network connection is a hard dependency for
building the system (a source CD wouldn't be sufficient to build)?

Etienne

PS: I know, I know... I've got a few other messages to reply to...  Just
give me some time. :-)